Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Celebrating 65 Years

I hope you don't mind me sharing something a little personal today.  As a general rule, I try to keep my family life separate from this blog, but today I feel like I need to share this.

Today is my Grandpa & Grandma's 65th Wedding Anniversary.  Aren't they just the cutest?!


We had planned on having a celebration this weekend for them, and my cousin took this picture for the invitations we were going to send out.  But our plans were changed in an instant.  Last Thursday, my sweet Grandpa suffered a massive stroke.  He's not doing well, and we don't know how much longer he'll be with us.

My sisters and I were able to stay at their house on Friday night to care for Grandpa.  What a privilege it was to be there!  We took turns talking to him, and sharing some of our memories of him.  One of my favorites was about a trip we took to Reno to watch my little sister in the state basketball tournament.  My Grandpa and Grandma drove their car, and I followed behind them with my Mom and some of our family in our van.  It was snowing, and I had never driven in snow before.  Grandpa told me to follow his tire tracks, so I did.  I stayed in those tracks, even when Grandpa started sliding off the road!  When my Mom realized what was happening, she told me to stay on the road, and my reply was, "But Grandpa told me to follow his tire tracks!"  We have laughed about that for years!  He nodded his head when we asked if he remembered our memories (he cannot speak), and even tried to smile at a few of them.  His mind is sharp as ever, but his body has failed him.

I feel so blessed to have grown up living just up the street from my Grandparents.  I always loved to go visit them, and listen to them tell stories of when they were younger.  Those stories never got old!  I wish so badly I could hear my Grandpa tell one of his stories now.

Although we are sad about the thought of losing our beloved Grandpa, we are also celebrating his life.  He has always been such a great example to his family, always putting our needs before his own.  Now we're going to return the favor and put Grandpa's needs before ours.  I'm hoping to go home this weekend and help care for Grandpa for as long as I can.  If I'm able to do this, I don't plan on posting for a bit, so don't be alarmed if you come back on Tuesday and don't see 'Sew Cute Tuesday' up and running.  Right now my family comes first.

Thanks for understanding!        


Photobucket

4 comments:

FlyAwayHome said...

What wonderful memories you have. YOUR life may be on hold for now, but it's so well worth the time spent with your grandfather. The party may have been canceled but they are still here together to celebrate their wonderful 65 years of marriage.My thoughts are with you and your family.

jean said...

You made me get misty. Go home, your family needs you. This blog will be here when you get back. My prayers and thoughts are with you and your family.

Unknown said...

Sending prayers your way for you and your family. It is always so hard to see a strong mans body fail. We recently had this happen to our Grandpa, so glad you can help those too will be memories you treasure!

Unknown said...

I was also fortunate enough to live very close to my grandparents while growing up. This is a treasure so many kids don't get. Your love for your Grandpa comes hurting through your post. All the best to you and your family.